We looked long and hard at firewall options for our clients. Many were just too expensive to make sense for small and medium businesses. Many were more about hype than substance; if they had spent as much on their product as on their videos and marketing material, they might have had a chance.
In the end, we chose PfSense by Netgate.
- It’s open-source means the code is available to anyone to review. A community of programmers did just that. PfSense scored 99% in its audit.
- Open-source means lower cost.
- Third party modules can be added for more features.
- PfSense generates reports and alerts that are sent directly to Atlas. This is part of our philosophy of proactively managing our clients’ technology instead of responding to crises.
- PfSense allows us to remotely manage devices securely. The less time we spend on the road, the more time we can support our clients.